Optoelectronics and RF facilities
The optoelectronics and RF facilities are composed of two optoelectronics laboratories and two RF equipped with £1million worth of experimental equipments and modelling facilities. A selection of the equipments are list bellow:
- The Innova® Sabre® MotoFreD™ ion laser
- Newfocus TLM-8700 fast sweep tunable laser source
- Agilent 8164B Lightwave Measurement System
- RENISHAW ML-10 Measurement Systems
- Beam profilers: Thorlabs BC106-VIS – CCD Camera Beam Profiler, Thorlabs BP109-IR – Beam Profiler
- Scanning Fabry-Perot Spectrum Analyzer. e.g. Thorlabs SA200-5B, Coherence 0464H08
- Anritsu MS9710B Optical Spectrum Analyzer
- Ocean Optics spectrometers. e.g. HR4000 and USB4000
- Edwards E306A Coating System Thermal Vacuum Evaporator
- SCS G3-8 Spin Coater
- ZEPTO laboratory plasma cleaner ZEPTO
- FUJIKURA FSM-40S ARC FUSION SPLICER
- National Instruments FPGA and Digitizer
- Signal generator: TG210 2MhZ function Generator
- Oscilloscopes: HP infinium Oscilloscope, HM507 Combiscope
- Anechoic Chamber suitable for frequencies above 1 GHz.
- Various measurement systems for 2, 10, 20, 40, & 60 GHz links
- VubiQ 60 GHz development kits
- Three 60 GHz Backhaul links (Sub10 Systems)
- Antenna radiation patterns measurement system
- Two equipped vans for outdoor measurements
- Programmable or Reconfigurable Platform (DSPs, FPGAs, GPPs).
The modelling facilities include high performance computing facilities (e.g. a 24-core cluster) equipped with various optoelectronic and EM modelling packages such as FDTD solutions, Zemax, FEKO, VPI Photonics suites. We also in-house novel RF Ray-tracing and Physical Optics EM planning tools developed by members of WORIC.
The optoelectronics and RF facilities have supported high quality research in various research fields such as
- Lasers, e.g. Pivot-point-independent mode-hop-free tunable laser
- Metrology, e.g. Position sensing light curtain, Accurate simultaneous 3D-coordinate measurement of multiple objects.
- Energy, e.g. Efficient Organic LED for lighting
- Biphotonics, e.g. Fat reduction using low-level light
- Telecommunication, e.g. High speed UAV communications, All optical Wavelength Conversion
- Metamaterial and Plasmonics, e.g. Coherence thermal light source
- Measurements of radiowave propagation on fixed and mobile terrestrial and satellite paths at frequencies above 1 GHz.
- Development of simplified and accurate prediction models required for the planning, design and installation of current and future radio systems.
- Investigation of the mutual interactive effects between mobile handsets and their human operators.
- Design and evaluation of novel antenna systems for third generation mobile handsets.
- Design of economical fade countermeasure schemes for mitigating the impact of propagation degradation on high capacity digital radio systems.
- Fundamental studies of the effects of atmospheric refractivity, hydrometers, and terrain features on radiowave propagation.
- Design and development of next generation WLAN personal and mobile radio systems
- Performance evaluation and modelling of broadband digitally modulated WLAN and mobile radio systems.
- Measurements and modelling of transmission and reflectivity properties of building materials.
These research works have attracted more than £4 million funding from EPSRC, A4B, TSC, KTP programmes.